Got a single Chromecast but multiple devices? Don’t worry because, with the Chromecast Guest Mode, your friends can cast any media to your Chromecast from their smartphone even without connecting to your Wi-Fi network.
What is Chromecast Guest Mode?
Table of Contents
As well all know that to cast content to your TV via Chromecast, your smartphone and Chromecast must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Imagine you have friends at your place with whom you don’t want to share passwords, and they insist to cast their media using Chromecast that is already connected to your Wi-Fi network. One way is to provide them with your Wi-Fi password, and the other way is to make use of the Chromecast Guest Mode feature.
With the Guest Mode on Chromecast, you allow your friend to use your Chromecast for casting their favorite content without letting them know your password. Once you enable this feature, Chromecast will emit a Wi-Fi beacon which will be automatically detected by your friend’s smartphone while using Chromecast-supported applications.
Pocket Guide Enable Guest Mode: Google Home → Chromecast device → Settings → Guest Mode → Turn on Use Guest Mode: Open Chromecast-enabled app → Cast icon → Nearby Device → Enter the PIN → Connect.
Why use Guest Mode on Chromecast?
Guest Mode feature is very handy when there is a gathering at your place and still keeps your password a secret. This feature gives easy access to your friends and family and enables you to enjoy content on the big screen without compromising your Wi-Fi password.
- Google Chromecast but not latest than 3rd Generation (Guest Mode is not supported by Chromecast with Google TV)
- Wi-Fi network
- Smart TV with HDMI port
How to Set up Chromecast Guest Mode?
It should be noted that only the host can enable Guest Mode in Chromecast. To enable Guest Mode, you have to install the Google Home application. Google Home is available in the Google Play Store and in the Apple App Store as well.
- Open the Google Home application on your smartphone.
- Click on your Chromecast device.
- Once you select your device, you will see the settings icon on the right upper corner.
- You will see multiple settings options, select “Guest Mode”.
- Tap on the Guest Mode option and then turn on the toggle.
- After you turn on the Guest Mode, a four-digit code will appear on the screen. Make sure to note down the code.
Check Out: How to Turn on Apple Airplay on Google TV
How to use Chromecast Guest Mode?
The best part about Guest Mode on Chromecast is, that you don’t need to connect to the same Wi-Fi network that your Chromecast is already connected to. But the casting phone must have an internet connection (not necessarily the same).
- Open any application that supports the Cast feature. I am using YouTube in this tutorial.
- You will see a pop-up on your screen, select the nearby device option.
- There are two possibilities to connect to the guest device. Either your smartphone will try to pair with the Chromecast automatically using an audio tone. If this connection is successful, then click on Ok to Connect and allow permission.
- If, however, this connection is not successful, then you will need to provide the code that you have noted down already.
- Once you enter the pin manually, you will be able to cast the video using your friend’s smartphone.
- If somehow, you forgot the pin code, you can also find it on the ambient screen or in the Google Home app.
No need to worry about sharing your password with your friends only for the casting feature. The Chromecast Guest Mode is here to help you but keep in mind that this feature won’t work with Chromecast with Google TV as it is not supported by the latest devices. If you face any issues with setting up Guest Mode on Chromecast, you can reach out to us via the comment section.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find the Pin Code for my Chromecast?
You can easily find the pin code on the home screen of the Google Home app. Open the Google Home app and select your Chromecast device and under your device name, you can see the code. You can also find the code on the ambient screen.
Does Chromecast require Wi-Fi for Guest Mode?
No, the Guest mode doesn’t require any Wi-Fi connection for casting. It only requires a pin code and mobile data to run videos online.
How to fix Chromecast guest mode not working on iPhone?
The first thing to check is whether the guest mode is enabled on your streaming device. After that, simply restart your iPhone.
Is it possible to use guest mode on Chromecast with hotel WiFi?
Unfortunately, you can not run guest mode with hotel Wi-Fi.