Table of Contents
Plex at a Glance
Plex is an online service that offers you not only to watch movies and TV shows, but can also keep your personal media files in one place. Plex is a very handy application that offers amazing features from keeping your personal media on your own server, to free and on-demand Movies & Shows, live TV, podcasts, and web shows, to streaming music, you can enjoy it all in one app, on any device.
Using Plex is very easy. If you are in to watch movies and TV Shows, then simply sign up with your free account. And if you are looking to keep the Plex server to keep your files on, then you will first need to install and run the Plex Media Server on a computer. You can access Plex on smart TVs as well. In this guide, I will show you How you can Set up Plex on Google Chromecast with Google TV.
The New Chromecast
Google has recently upgraded the existing Chromecast device with a whole new one. What’s interesting about the new one is that unlike the previous one you can download apps within the device because of the Android TV OS. It means that you can now easily access your personal media files on Chromecast. And when it comes to accessing personal media files, Plex is the number one choice.
There are a few steps involved in Setting up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV, and I will show you all these steps in the very coming section.
Steps in Set up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV
There are three main steps involved in setting up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV. The first one is to Set up Plex Media Server on your PC, the second is to install Plex Media Player on Google TV, and the final one is to Set up the Plex app on Google TV.
Set up Plex Media Server on your PC
(1) You will need to download the Plex Media Server on your PC. To download, visit Plex Download Official Site.
(2) Once the file is downloaded, install it on your PC.
(3) Once the installation process is complete, click on “Launch”.
(4) After you launch it, you will be redirected to the browser to sign in using your credentials. Then in the coming screen, click on Got it.
(5) In the next step, enter a name for your server, and click next. Make sure to check the box next to “Allow me to access my media outside my home“. If you check this, it will give access to media on Google TV.
(6) Once you have set up the server, click “Done”. After that, you can upload any file to your server that you want.
Check Out: How to Chromecast Steam Games
Install Plex Media Player on Google TV
(1) Now it’s time to install the Plex Media player on Google TV. First, you have to set up the Chromecast with your Google TV. Then go to the Apps section.
(2) Find the Plex app in the Entertainment category, or simply go to search for apps.
(3) You can either write the name of the application or just dictate it to Google TV and Google Assistant will find it for you.
(4) Choose the Plex app from the suggestions, click on it and install it.
(5) Once the Plex app is installed, you will see the option of Open on your screen.
Set up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV
(1) First of all, you will need to activate the Plex account used for configuring Plex Media Server on PC. Click on Sign in on the top right corner of your screen.
(2) An activation code will appear with the activation link mentioned in it.
(3) Visit the activation link “(https://plex.tv/link)” using your smartphone or PC browser.
(4) Enter the code that appeared on your screen in the box asked in the activation link.
(5) Once the codes match, your accounts will be linked and you will be notified on the screen.
(6) The Plex App will start loading on the TV Screen. If you are interested in buying Plex Pass, click on subscribe on the next screen or else click Not Now.
(7) All your media files that reside on Plex Server will now be visible on the Google TV screen. It may take some time to load.
The above-mentioned simple steps will enable you to Set up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV where you can watch your stored files and also you can stream other content on Plex by adding plugins and subscribing to Plex Pass.
If you have any questions regarding setting up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV, you can ask us via the comment section.