Table of Contents
Roku is a very famous TV streaming service in the United States. Unlike Amazon Fire Stick, Roku doesn’t support VPN directly. With that being said, you will need to take the help of a third-party device to run VPN on Roku. You might think that why do you need to use a VPN on Roku. Well, VPN is usually used to access geo-restricted content.
It happens many times that certain content is streamed only in selected countries. For this purpose, you need to connect to a VPN that will change your IP address, and hence you can stream that restricted content as well.
As said earlier, Roku doesn’t allow you to install VPN directly, so you will need to find some other ways of doing it. In this article, I will show you how you can connect VPN on Roku.
What is VPN?
VPN refers to a Virtual Private Network, the function of which is to give you online privacy and anonymity by creating a private network from a public internet connection. It actually masks your dynamic IP address, which makes your online actions almost untraceable. In simple words, it changes your locations by playing with your IP address.
VPN does another very important function and that is to provide you security while you are connected to public Wi-Fi connections. It establishes secure and encrypted connections to provide greater privacy than even a secured Wi-Fi hotspot. Now as you know the basics of VPN, let us start with How to Connect VPN on Roku.
How to Connect VPN on Roku
There is one way that you can use to connect a VPN on Roku. It is to modify the Router to the VPN IP address then change the settings from Roku Network settings. For the first method, you need to have paid access to premium VPN service providers like Warp VPN 111, Star VPN, Nord VPN, and more. The reason for paid VPN is you will have a stable browsing experience.
(1) Connect your router to your PC, and then open any browser. It is recommended to use Google Chrome.
(2) Type the router’s IP address in the search bar.
(3) Log in to the router’s configuration portal by using the credential mentioned on the back of the router.
(4) Go to Setup, and then click on the Security tab.
(5) Click on Disable to disable the SPI Firewall in the Router.
(6) The choose the services tab and click on VPN.
(7) Then scroll down to the OpenVPN Client and Enable the OpenVPN Client.
(8) Once you enable OpenVPN client, enter the VPN Server address in the server IP or Name.
(9) Also enter other credentials like username and password of the VPN service.
(10) In order to save these changes to your router, reboot your router. Once your router is rebooted, check the current IP address and it would be changed.
(1) Plugin Roku to your TV and turn it on.
(2) On your remote, press the home button and go to the main menu.
(3) In the main menu, go to settings, and then click on Network.
(4) Go to Setup Connection in the Network Settings.
(5) Then click on Wired to connect the router through the Ethernet cable.
(6) Then choose Wireless to connect to the Wi-Fi Connection of the router.
This way you can Connect VPN on Roku and now you will be able to watch all the Geo-Restricted content on your Roku. If you wish VPN to start a new connection, you can easily do it by resetting the Roku. You can also alter the VPN settings on the router by accessing OpenVPN Client.
If you have any queries regarding connecting your Roku to VPN, you can reach out to us via the comment section.